What is FormulaSAE?
FormulaSAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is the worlds largest engineering collegiate competition encompassing hundreds of schools from around the world. The competition calls for students to design and build a racecar from the ground up every year. There are several annual competitions which are located in the US, UK, Germany, Australia Austria, Japan, Italy, and Brazil. The students must defend their design to a panel of industry leaders through a series of static and dynamic tests. The static events include business presentation, cost, and design in which a team can acquire 40% of competition points. In order to proceed to the dynamic events, a car must pass a rigorous technical inspection to ensure the car is safe and follows competition regulations. Finally, a team can back any smack talk and try to gain the other 60% of points through the dynamic tests: skidpad, acceleration, autocross, and endurance.
What is TigerRacing?
TigerRacing has existed since the early 90s as an on and off senior design project in which a hand full of mechanical engineering students tackle the project. In early 2012, a group of seniors pushed to move TigerRacing from senior design into an official LSU club. This was an important step because it allowed for the team to expand and pass on valuable knowledge from year to year. Backed by the engineering community, Chad Becht and David Yingst led a strong team to build the second most successful FSAE car, "Carly Rae," in TigerRacing's history. This was due to generous sponsors, strict deadlines, numerous testing days, and the determination to succeed.
In 2014, TigerRacing made LSU history by placing 40th overall in the Michigan competition. Finally after many years of failing to complete the Endurance event, TigerRacing had finished! The success is attributed to the hard work of each team member. The goals of designing to completion and analyzing the systems on the vehicles was crucial in the reliability and performance of the car. All of this was made possible through he support of friends, family, advisors, faculty, and sponsors.
With the success in 2014, the 2015 team is looking forward to continue to build a car that improves upon the last by increasing vehicle performance. One of the goals of this team is to learn the theory and validate the theory through analysis and testing.