What is FormulaSAE?
FormulaSAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is the world's largest collegiate engineering competition, encompassing hundreds of schools from around the world. The competition calls for students to design and build an approximately two-thirds scale formula one car from the ground up every year. There are several annual competitions located in the US, UK, Germany, Australia Austria, Japan, Italy, and Brazil. The students must defend their design to a panel of industry leaders through a series of static and dynamic tests. The static events include business presentation, cost evaluation, and design evaluation in which a team can acquire 40% of competition points. In order to proceed to the dynamic events, a car must pass a rigorous technical inspection to ensure the car is safe and follows competition regulations. Finally, a team can back any smack talk and try to gain the remaining 60% of points through the dynamic tests: skid-pad, acceleration, autocross, and endurance.
What is TigerRacing?
TigerRacing has existed since the early 90s as an on-and-off senior design project in which a hand full of mechanical engineering students tackled the project. In early 2012, a group of seniors pushed to move TigerRacing from senior design into an official LSU club, which allowed for the team to expand and pass on valuable knowledge from year to year. Backed by the engineering community, Chad Becht and David Yingst led a strong team to build the third most successful FSAE car in TigerRacing's history, "Carly Rae,” which could not have been possible without generous sponsors, strict deadlines, numerous testing days, and the determination to succeed.
After changing engines and designing a highly reliable vehicle, TigerRacing made school history by placing 22nd and 9th overall in both of our competitions in the summer of 2015. Not only did the car meet the goals of completing every event, it performed at an impressively high level, placing in the top 30 for all of the dynamic events. To ensure long term success, the team has started to develop documentation procedures, which ensure knowledge is properly passed from year to year and that every system is checked thoroughly before operation.
After setting records in the dynamic competition events in the 2015 season, the 2016 season was spent focusing on increasing our performance in static events. Our team saw great improvement in static event placement, however, due to mechanical difficulties at competition, our dynamic event scores pushed us down to a still impressive 29th place at FSAE Michigan.
After the 2016 season, TigerRacing is now internationally ranked at
179th out of 547 teams around the world.
After difficulties in the 2016 season, the 2017 team is looking to increase reliability and overall performance. Some of the goals of this year's team are to test our changes more meticulously, shed a few pounds off the car, and place in the top 15 at the 2017 Michigan competition.